Sunday 19 August 2012

Slavery Made Me Sad Today

I finally decided to put my blog online, not that I ever blogged before, but I really wanted to start blogging on the Internet for about three years, but never actually did that. So, I'm here, and what really motivated me to get online was an article I read about Slavery that made me really sad, and some stories my uncle told me when I visited Brazil to see him.

Recently I went to Brazil, to spend holidays with my family, I have an uncle that lives in Rio, and it was the first time that I visited the country. Rio is the most beautiful city I ever been, but I got very sad when I visited a local slum (favela), and it was then that I realized how much that city was divided.

My uncle told me a lot about that, and how even though it seems like Brazil is a country without prejudice, where whites and blacks live together at peace, the truth is that racism in Brazil is even worse than in America. The problem in Brazil is that blacks have no opportunity, but nobody says that's a problem caused by racism, it's because blacks were set free by their masters without no effort, and that makes them feel like there's no racism.

I don't know. I think there's much more I could say about, but I really just wanted to write my first blog post, and I thought talking about this would make me feel better about.

No comments:

Post a Comment